Applied Math Colloquium
During the academic year, the Department of Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics holds a weekly applied math colloquium.
- Mondays at 4 p.m.
- Tech M416
- Refreshments served at 3:45 p.m.
Fall 2014 schedule:
- 9/29/14: Dr. Cristián Huepe Minoletti of Labo Labs
"Elasticity-based mechanism for collective motion in natural and artificial swarms"
- 10/13/14: Professor Rolf Ryham of Fordham University
"Control of Lipidic Pore Dynamics by Aqueous Viscosity"
- 10/20/14: Professor Nathan Kutz of the University of Washington
"Sparsity and Equation-Free Methods for Complex Systems"
- 10/27/14: Professor Martin Golubitsky of Ohio State University
"Patterns of Synchrony: From Animal Gaits to Binocular Rivalry"
- 11/01/14: "Option Strategies for Profit in the Real World" (Special Saturday Seminar)
Presented by Random Walk Trading
- 11/3/14: Professor Andreas Waechter of Northwestern University (IEMS)
"A Derivative-Free Method for Solving Nonlinear Optimization Problems with
- 11/10/14: Dr. Ira Schwartz of the US Naval Research Laboratory
"Predicting epidemic rare events: A dynamical systems perspective of disease
extinction and control"
- 11/17/14: Professor Oskar Hallatschek of the University of California, Berkeley
"The Role of Noise in the Dynamics of Evolution: The Evolutionary Importance
of Being Round"
- 12/1/14: Dr. Enkeleida Lushi of Brown University and Courant Institute
"Fluid Flows Created by Swimming Bacteria Drive Self-Organization"
Winter 2015 schedule:
- 1/5/15: Professor Christopher Danforth of the University of Vermont
"Remote Sensing of Emotional States in Real-Time" -- http://hedonometer.org
- 3/2/15: Professor Horacio Rotstein of New Jersey Institute of Technology
- 3/9/15: Dr. Alex Roxin of Centre de Recerca Matemàtica
- 3/12/15: Professor Sophie Denéve of École Normale Supérieure (Thursday Seminar)
Spring 2015 schedule:
- 4/6/15: Professor Petia Vlahovska of Brown University
- 4/13/15: Professor Ka-Kit Tung of the University of Washington
- 5/4/15: Professor Michelle Girvan of the University of Maryland
- 5/11/15: Reiss Lecture: Professor Detlef Lohse of the University of Twente (Netherlands)
- 5/12/15: Reiss Lecture: Professor Detlef Lohse of the University of Twente (Netherlands)
View ESAM's PlanIt Purple Calendar for additional department event information.
To subscribe to the Applied Mathematics Colloquia Listserv, send a message to email@example.com
Reiss Memorial Lectures
Learn more about the Edward L. Reiss Memorial Lectures in Applied Mathematics, hosted annually by the department.